Monday, June 14, 2010

Back in Black

Well, you may have noticed a lack of activity here this past week. My wife and I were on vacation for a few days, celebrating our anniversary. We did nothing at all on the vacation, and didn't do much more once we got home. I mowed the front lawn yesterday, but that's about it. We did buy some more flowers while we were away, but we haven't even planted them yet.

Anyway, we have a few things on our list to do this week, and I'm really hoping we can get them done without too much delay. Here's what I want to accomplish:

Mount new wall cabinets
Replace broken drawer
Insulate dishwasher (if necessary)
Plant new flowers
Retexture walls where necessary
Touch up paint in upstairs bathroom
Buy woodwork paint
Begin painting woodwork upstairs
Replace door hardware
Practice cope joints for baseboards

It's a lot, but I think we can at least make progress in all of those areas. I'm really hoping to get the hall bath done. We got it to a functional place and the motivation to work on it past that point just hasn't been there. I think we really need to finish it, though. Having a room all the way done would be a huge step for us. We also want to get the office moving along a bit more. We have two computers set up in there now, but we need some paperwork management so we can get ourselves organized. Filing cabinets, shelves, drawers, something so we can keep track of what has been done, how much we're spending, what still needs to be done, etc.

Anyway, next post will be more interesting, I promise. Thanks for reading!

Oh, I forgot! I made up a sketchup model of the raised beds we're putting in the back yard. Here they are:

They'll fit in the space between the concrete path and the lawn. They're pretty small and they're going to be shaded by a tree for a goodly portion of the day, so they'll be good primarily for shady plants that don't get too big. Not sure what all that includes, but I'm sure we'll find plenty. I'd love to grow some berry bushes, and these might be a decent size for some of those. I'm even building them so that we can put cold frames on top, or build mesh covers to keep the birds off our berries but let air and water in. As we continue, I'll let you know how that whole plan goes.

2 comments:

  1. I know my inlaws had raspberry canes at their house in Cottonwood. I don't remember the story exactly, but I think it was basically that somehow my sister in law got a hold of some raspberry canes when she was in elementary school and she planted them under the ponderosa pines in the backyard because MIL didn't think they'd stick around. They ended up taking over that entire area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister has some raspberries up at her house, too. We want to have raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc. I think we're going to try to make our own jam with our own fruit eventually. We're also thinking we might grow our own wheat just to see what it's all about. Apparently a 10'x10' plot of wheat can yield enough flour for a few dozen loaves of bread.

    ReplyDelete