Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thinking in the 3rd dimension

So I realized that my little sketch was mildly useful, but not super useful. Why not? Because it isn't to scale. I didn't know that all the things i wanted to fit on that wall would actually fit. Or that I would be able to work out a way to support my shelves so they don't just come tumbling down. So I figured a bit of a scale model would be helpful. Makes sense, right? So here you go. This is more or less what I'm thinking, but in 3D now.

You can see the upper shelves, the space for the trash and recycle cans and the bench. There's a 3'x8' pegboard on the wall behind the bench, too. The shelves start at about 6'6" up the wall, so they shouldn't interfere with normal movement underneath them. That's a heck of a lot of storage, too. Thirty three bins up top. I don't even know that I have thirty three bins, much less that many bins full of stuff that needs to be stored. Once we get the books out of bins and onto shelves, we're going to have a lot of extra bins just waiting for stuff. Long-term food storage could go up there, I suppose. Also camping equipment and the like.

What about the middle shelf? I don't know if I have room, unfortunately. We'll have to see how it works out. I'm thinking I may put one of our smaller basement shelves up there perpendicular to the wall and use that to store my larger bench tools. It would be an efficient use of the space, for sure. I really do need somewhere to store my larger power tools, and some of them are too tall to work out under the bench. Alternatively, I could put a larger shelf on the right hand wall, butted up to the bench. Not sure. I'll think about it and see what I can come up with. Some of this is going to have to be influenced by how much space the cars will take up. We won't know that until we pull them into the garage, really. I'd imagine I'll be parking on the right and will pull my car out when I need to work, but it would be nice to have at least enough space to be able to go grab a tool with the car pulled in.

So many things to think about on this one. Anyway, I'm sure we'll work it out. I'll keep you all posted, as always. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment