Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Light Night

We did a lot for the house yesterday, but in a sort of metaphysical sense. We bought the tile and various accessories for laying tile and also ordered the hardwood for the main floor. We'll have to have my dad pick that up in the truck in the next few days and then unload it into the house. Here's the tile we picked out:

Florentia Noce Porcelain Tile


It's very nice and has enough going on in it that it isn't going to look boring or anything. We really think it'll look great with the white plumbing and the countertop that's in there now.

I also re-textured some patches on the walls that I had to make and I'm feeling much better about that process. The initial patches I'd made had a tendency to get too smooth in areas, with not enough variation. The texture is definitely an art and it'll take a fair bit of practice before I feel really good about it. I'm definitely improving, though.

I also did a little reading about this bad boy:

It turns out that this is actually an intensely awesome piece of equipment. This little beast right here will serve quite a few functions for us. It's a way to get cable TV to every outlet in the house, which is nice, but it's also a way to transfer signals from one place in the house to another. Check this: I can run a coax out from a DVD player in the family room and hook it into this panel and then watch the signal from that player on any other TV in the house. Cool, huh? It means that we don't have to buy DVD players for every TV and you can also put a DVD in the family room while you're eating dinner, then head upstairs to the computer room and keep watching without having to bring the DVD with you and find your spot. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool, but I'm very excited about it. I still have plenty more to learn on this thing and quite a bit more testing and all to see that it actually does all of these things properly.

We have a few more things planned for tonight, mostly more painting and taping and prep work. I'll get pictures of any new improvements we make, as per usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment