Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Upstairs Nearing Completion

There has been a lot going on at my house recently, and I wanted to share some of the updates with you.

First, the nursery. We've done a lot in there.

This is how we started. Just a blank blue wall.

Then we started using the stud finder and marking studs with painter's tape. This is an awesome thing my dad came up with. They're easier to see than little pencil marks on the wall, easier to move or remove, and they're even reusable.

Here's our super fancy cut to fit around the window sill.

And there it is in place. It fit phenomenally. We used a piece of cardboard as a template to ensure that everything would fit, and it worked like a charm. Templates FTW.

Next we put in the small piece in the middle of the window. Beadboard is a bit weird, because you have to line everything up. There's a pattern to it and the pattern has to match or it'll look all funky.

There we go. First wall is done.

Now you can see what it looks like with a little baseboard up in there. I like it.

It's a little tough to see, but I put some cap rail on here. The cap rail goes along the top, and then down along the edge to finish off the beadboard next to the window. We weren't sure how we wanted to do that part, but I'm extremely pleased with how this method worked out.

Now we put the chair rail on top of the cap rail. This helps to balance out the tall beadboard, I think.

This is how I finished the ends of the chair rail. I'm really pleased with this, too. It was kind of a pain to get it right, but I like how it caps off the end of the rail in sort of a fancy way.

That's another angle on it.

 There's the whole thing. Booyah.

You can see how we used the cap rail to finish the edge on the closet as well. I think this looks very nice, and will only look nicer once it's all caulked and painted.

Worked our way all around the room. Now on to other things!


Yes, this is the office. It was yellow and blue, and now it's green!

So pretty and vibrant. We're pretty excited about this room, since we'll finally have a place for computers and mail and files and all the rest. Woot!

Okay, I think that's about it for now. We're trying to get our granite, floor tile and backsplash tile figured out for the kitchen. I think we have the granite and floor tile picked out now, but we're still working on the backsplash. Nothing is really jumping out as us just yet, but we'll keep looking. I'll keep you posted, of course. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment