Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Approaching the big move

The big move in this case is actually moving our stuff into our master bedroom. We've owned the house for nearly two years now, and haven't spent even a single night in the master bedroom. It's only the past few weeks we've been using the master bathroom. The whole thing feels sort of surreal, actually.

What all have we been doing? Well a picture is worth a thousand words, so here we go:

There was this little hole behind the master bedroom door where the previous knob had broken through the drywall. I put this little screen kit of it and got to work.

I grabbed some of this and a putty knife and started spreading is over the mesh, to give myself a smooth surface.

Yeah, that's about as good as it gets. I pretty much head to lean my cornea on the surface to see how i was doing because of the angle of the light and everything. Suffice it to say, it was pretty smooth, and bland-looking.

Sprayed a little canned texture on it, which you know I don't love. It just doesn't have the right consistency at all. But hey, you do what you have to, and I really didn't want to bust out (and then clean) my hopper gun to do a patch smaller than my fist.

These photos are the very height of visual interest, I know. But anyway, this is the texture after knocking down, while it's drying. I ended up spraying a little more on there to get some more speckles, and then called it good. Once we get some paint on it, I don't think we'll notice it very much at all.

We also did some other things, including turning this wonderful example of modern lighting, into this:

Whee! It involved more than a little time up in the attic, but it's totally worth it. So beautiful and it can really move some air, too. That's good, because the new bedroom faces south and is likely to get quite warm.

We also installed our closet organizers. Hooray!

All of this had been crammed into half of a 6-foot closet for as long as I can remember. And this is after gutting my wardrobe and sending a lot of stuff to the Salvation Army. Yeah. "Crowded" is an understatement. Now my clothes can actually hang more or less freely on their hangers, which is going to do wonders for the wrinkle factor. I probably still have a lot to donate, too. There's just a lot of this stuff I don't wear anymore, mostly now because hardly any of it fits.

And last, but definitely not least, we installed some blinds. Privacy, light blocking, and ease of installation were all big in favor of blinds. We'll be adding curtains too, hopefully very soon. But this room is definitely approaching readiness.

Just have to give a shout out to my parents. They have been incredibly helpful. If not for them, we would still be living in a filthy, broken, disgusting house. Now, we're living in a house that is looking more and more beautiful every day. My mom spent a lot of time caulking and painting and taping and plugging various holes in flooring and baseboards, and my dad spent a lot of time cutting and shaping and installing baseboards and floorboards. They both have been working at my house most every day while I've been working at the office, and everything is looking great. Thanks so much, you guys! You're the best and I love you.

More to come tonight, hopefully. I'm thinking we may get furniture in the room, and maybe even sleep in it, just to see what it's like. You will be kept informed, as always. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment