Friday, August 20, 2010

An elegant compost bin, for a more civilized age.

Well, since I haven't done much else, I'll keep posting about my pile of dead plant matter inside a black plastic orb. Fun, huh?

The pile of dead leaves from the limbs I trimmed off the tree in the back yard. I've been wanting to get this crap moved, but I didn't know quite what to do with it.

I rolled the bin on over here and that was actually pretty fun. It's easy to move around and very stable when you put it on the stand. I like being able to just roll it up front so I can rake my grass clippings into it instead of having to put them in a bag and then haul the bag to the back or something. Definitely a plus.

I don't know if you can tell what I'm doing here, but I would step on the base of the branch and use the rake (pushing it along the branches) to strip all the leaves off and into the grass. It worked pretty well for the most part. I used the machete to break the limbs down a bit more. That machete gets about as much work in my yard as any of my other tools. I don't know how normal people live without them.

Raked up and in the bin. Now to put the lid on and roll it back to the porch docking bay.

There we go. Just rolling it to get it back to the base mixes it all up really well. This seems like a really good design so far.

I'm going to have to wait quite a while for compost, I'm sure, but I'm trying to build good habits early so I remember to put things in there instead of in the trash. I'm hoping to take a little time this weekend to do something else, but we'll have to see. I keep saying that and nothing productive keeps happening. Maybe I'll just plan on taking it easy and then I'll end up working like a fiend. You'll find out next week either way. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. supposedly Yarrow is supposed to make the compost decompose faster...so if you can find some yarrow leaves...

    ReplyDelete