Monday, January 31, 2011

Not so much

Yeah, I haven't really been doing anything. Me = Big slacker.

I did just a couple of things this weekend, none of which require pictures.

Here's all I did:

I took the Christmas lights out of the tree out front. I've been meaning to do that for a while now, but it was finally warm enough and I had the free time to get it done. It was relatively painless, but I haven't actually wrapped them up or put them away yet. I'm still not sure how well that will go.

I changed the bulbs out in the porch lights in front of the house. Replaced burned out and broken incandescents with CFLs. I don't really like CFLs, but they're more efficient and last longer. Also, they're getting to be cheap enough where you aren't even really spending more to get them than you would with incandescents. When LEDs come down in price a bit, I'll definitely be getting those.

I also added a Dusk to Dawn sensor to the back porch light. We go out so much at night with the puppy that it's nice to have one that will just be on for us. It's also nice from a security standpoint. I like my house to be well-lit on all sides all night to discourage anyone from thinking they can lurk on my property. I'm very much anti-lurking.

Additionally, I picked up some foam rubber pipe insulation. The inlet for the outside air to air-ify our furnace and water heater burners comes in at the ceiling of the basement, and is right next to some of our plumbing. I doubt that it will get cold enough in the utility room for those pipes to freeze, but I don't want to find out the hard way. A little insulation on those pipes will give me some peace of mind.

Finally, I picked up a garage door opener. We're still living the good life with a completely manual garage door, but all that's about to change. We got this bad boy: Chamberlain Screw Drive and it will solve that problem right up for us. People seem to like it and we got a great price on it at Costco. I haven't ever put one in before, but I have some friends who have, so I'm going to try to ply them with beer and food to get them to help me out. That will probably take me at least a few hours of work and will justify a whole giant blog post of its own, I'm sure.

So there you go. Not much actually done, but a little bit. This week there should be more. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I’m wondering if you ever accept guest posts? I’ve written a number of articles about alternatives for homeowners trying to go green that I think your readers would find interesting. Let me know if this is something you can consider, and please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions, thanks!

    Sincerely,

    Alan Parker

    ReplyDelete