Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Moving in

This was a hectic weekend. No internet, for one thing. Also, we had to finish moving out of the apartment and get it cleaned up on Saturday. After a month of hard work on the house, that was just about the last straw. Thankfully we got to go out with some friends and get dinner and see Iron Man 2, so it was a great day overall.

However, the house is still a big horrible pile of mess. We aren't very well organized yet, and we need to start moving things down to the basement in earnest. The basement is the last place on the list that needs to be done, so things moved down there can be left alone for longer than things moved elsewhere. We're going to clear out the living room and the garage as much as possible and transfer things to the basement. Keeping some kind of organization down there is imperative, since we are regularly breaking into boxes to find stuff right now. Not sure how we'll do it, but I have faith in us.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, are some pictures of the house as it looks now:

That's the living room. We have a few things in there that need to be hauled out more quickly than others. One of them is a toilet that was sent to us in error that we need to pack up and send back. It should've been done a long time ago, but we've been a bit busy as you can see.

The garage. It actually has more stuff in it now, but I'm really hoping to get a lot of it pulled out soon. So much of it could fit in the basement and then we might even have enough space to work in here. Sounds crazy, right?

Also, we got the TV mounted. That's the culmination of a great big project. I learned some new things, too. You know how we had the wall panels with the HDMI ports? Well it turns out those only work if you have one in the line, not two. When we had both of them in the line, the signal got very messy and even got interrupted several times. As soon as I took one of them out, everything is sharp and perfect. I did a lot of testing, too, to see if it was an issue with one panel or the other, or some combination of the cables. It wasn't. Just some weird thing about having two connectors in there, I guess. It isn't the end of the world, since we have some extra cable that will go from the wall to the back of the receiver in the rear. Honestly, that's not even a little inconvenient, since the receiver will stay put the majority of the time, and it will cover the plate pretty well. I think the system is still very much what I was hoping for, I just could've saved myself $20 on another HDMI panel. Oh well, I suppose I'll have use for it somewhere later.

Here's the TV mounted. Don't mind the screen, it's supposed to look like that.

I'm going to be looking at speakers soon, and hopefully picking them up and installing them shortly. I've changed my mind on them a bit. We want to do an actual dedicated media room at some point, and I was hoping to get some speakers that we could transfer down there. I'm now thinking that getting some good, but less-expensive speakers is the way to go here. Part of it is that I really want to get this room functional as soon as possible, but part of it is also that I don't want to put really nice speakers in an area that won't really do them justice. I'd rather put them in the media room and have them be perfect and amazing than get used to them in the family room and have them feel like old hat by the time we move them downstairs. Maybe it's silly, but it makes some kind of sense to me. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment