Monday, April 11, 2011

Quick Fixes

Didn't do much this weekend, as we were super busy with our social schedule. I did however, manage to thatch the front yard and pull a lot of dead leaves and grass out of the irises in the back. I don't know how bulbs normally work, but I think there's something wrong with these. they're not individual plants growing out of one bulb each, there's this hideous, mutated mass of bulb with a ton of plants growing out of it. It's huge and gross-looking. I want to dig it up and break it up and replant them or something. I know literally nothing about bulb plants so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with them to keep that from happening in the future. A giant mass of bulb isn't ideal for any area of my yard.

I did do a minor repair in the front yard. Here's the situation:

This downspout thingy consistently comes undone and flops all over the place, especially in high winds.

Solution: Rivets. I had to punch the holes a little larger to get these rivets through, but i didn't get pictures of that.


If you haven't used one of these rivet guns, you're missing out. They insanely handy. They let you attach two pieces of metal semi-permanently (can be drilled out) even if you only have access to one side. That's something you don't normally get from any other fastener I've tried. Not expensive, either.

And there we go. One of these bad boys in each side and I'm all set. no more pulling free. Eventually, we'll be digging under the sidewalk and running a drain directly from the downspout under there and then into the lawn so we don't have to step over this thing all the time. That's a bigger project for another day, though.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: